Today was the last day of school. Ahh! Not sure what to think about it all, with my oldest graduating from middle school to high school and my youngest graduating from elementary to middle school. It is all just going too fast. Even though I’ll have less free time to myself, I know we have some good, fun days ahead. With the last day of school, comes the unofficial start of summer. Parties, picnics and pool-time! This recipe is something you can make year-round, and it really is a fabulously easy dish to pass, perfect for a picnic or back-yard bbq. No need to heat the house up, just throw together some basic ingredients for a fresh tasting bean salad that everyone will love. Make it your own by adding any of the optional ingredients and feel free to adjust the amounts to your taste. If you’re not a big fan of onion use less or skip it entirely, add more if you love it. Cheers to warmer weather and picnic season!
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans chickpeas/garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 red onion, chopped (~1/3 C)
- Handful of fresh Italian parsley, chopped (~1/3-1/2 C)
- 1/3 C extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 C fresh lemon juice (or juice of 1 lemon)
- 1 drop Young Living Taste of Italy Essential Oil (a blend of basil & four types of oregano)
- 6 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- salt & pepper to taste
- Optional add-ins: chopped cucumber, grape tomatoes, sliced black olives
Combine first six ingredients in large bowl. If time, refrigerate for ~30 minutes. Just before serving add in feta and salt/pepper to taste.